Re: Invalid hex digit 59 - Linux MIPS kernel debugging

Thanks a lot, that was very helpful.

Setting the architecture to mips:isa32 indeed works. And you're right
in that the 32bits kernel is running on an RM9000 with 64 bits
architecture.

Will the CVS version work without having to set the architecture or
will I still have to do so?

Regards,
Alex

On 4/13/07, Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 13, 2007 at 05:40:25PM +0100, Alex Gonzalez wrote:
> Thanks, I'll try that.
>
> If you don't mind me asking, why would gdb expect 64bits registers
> when the target abi is set to o32?

Because you can run o32 binaries on hardware with 64-bit registers,
and there are some ugly corner cases where the upper half of registers
can cause problems - e.g. for things which have undefined behavior if
the input registers are not correctly sign extended.  You've probably
built a 32-bit kernel for a processor that GDB knows is actually
64-bit.  But if your debug agent only supplies 32 bits, then GDB will
get along fine (once it knows that).

If you don't want to change GDB versions, an appropriate "set arch"
might work - but I recommend the current snapshots.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery