gdb breakpoint problem

hi, all
I am new to gdb and have trouble in setting the breakpoint. The
problem is, the program does not stop at some of the breakpoints. I am
using gdb6.6 in centos4.4. Here is the detail.

===================================
/* sample.c -- Sample C program to be debugged with ddd
*/
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
static void shell_sort(int a[], int size){
	int i, j;
	int h = 1;
	do {
		h = h * 3 + 1;
	} while (h <= size);
	do {
		h /= 3;
		for (i = h; i < size; i++){
			int v = a[i];
			for (j = i; j >= h && a[j - h] > v; j -= h)
				a[j] = a[j - h];
			if (i != j)
			a[j] = v;
		}
	} while (h != 1);
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
	int *a;  //line 24
	int i; //line 25
	a = (int *)malloc((argc - 1) * sizeof(int)); // line 26
	for (i = 0; i < argc - 1; i++)
		a[i] = atoi(argv[i + 1]);
	shell_sort(a, argc);
	for (i = 0; i < argc - 1; i++)
		printf("%d ", a[i]);
	printf("\n");
	free(a);
	return 0;
}
gcc -g -o sample sample.c

gdb sample
GNU gdb 6.6
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"...
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/tls/libthread_db.so.1".
(gdb) break 24
Breakpoint 1 at 0x804850b: file sample.c, line 24.
(gdb) info break 1
Num Type           Disp Enb Address    What
1   breakpoint     keep y   0x0804850b in main at sample.c:24
(gdb) run 2 4 6 3 5 7
Starting program: /home/amdx2/drive2/cpp/testddd/sample 2 4 6 3 5 7

Breakpoint 1, main (argc=7, argv=0xbff515c4) at sample.c:26
26              a = (int *)malloc((argc - 1) * sizeof(int));

-------------------------
As you can see, the program did not stop at the breakpoint on line24.
It stops at line26. If I add another breakpoint on line25, this 2nd
breakpoint is skipped as well and the program stops at line26. Why is
that? How can I correct it?

On my own program which is rather big, it got the same problem. When I
use info break xxx, it sometimes point to a different place in "What".
For example, I placed the breakpoint in main line 100, but the "what"
points to other functions in different line. As the result, these
breakpoints never work. I changed my gcc flags with combinations of
-glevel -olevel, the problem did not solve. Thanks for your comments.

zl2k