What's an annex? stratum?

Looking at target.c, I see some terms which are less
than clear:  annex and stratum.  Could someone tell me
what these mean?

There is a mention of "annex" in the GDB doc, but it's
not clear that this is the same as in target.c.  This
refers to an XML document and refers to
gdb/features/gdb-target.dtd which doesn't exist.  In
target.c, it appears that an annex is an address space
of some kind.

There is one mention of "strata" in the docs, under
maintenance commands.

Aside:  there are comments in the gdb code which tell me
that the previous code did things badly and that the new
scheme is better.  Usually there's no description of the
new scheme.  I don't know about others, but I find these
comments are both distracting and unhelpful.

-- Michael Eager eager@eagercon.com 1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306 650-325-8077