gdb over smbus

hi,all,
   I have a soc with smbus interface, through this smbus interface,
all kinds of resources on chip can be accessed, such as sram,
registers, to set/enable/disable breakpoint, restart soc.
   I want to know if it's possible to port GDB on this soc to supoort
souce code level debug?
   BTW, gcc compiler has been ported to support this kind of soc.
   I know little about gdb porting, any information are appreciated!

thanks,