Re: GDB version numbering

> This is just a suggestion for a scheme for numbering GDB releases.  Joel
> has suggested (I think) that the version after next is called 7.0.  Major
> number changes, naturally, are generally reserved for major changes. However,
> as GDB usually releases fairly regularly, at about six monthly intervals,
> the scale of the changes tend to be pretty constant.  So how about making
> the _next_ release 7.0 (or 7.1) and subsequent releases as:
>
> 2008    8.0    8.1
> 2009    9.0    9.1
> 2010   10.0   10.1
> etc?

Honestly, I don't think this bring any benefit at all. version 10.x
is as cryptic as version 6.x. Perhaps if you had suggested that
we use version 2008, 2009, etc. But even then I don't see any benefit.

I prefer the current numbering scheme. We can keep a 6.x version number
until we have something major happening. The last time, it was the
transition to multi-arch I think. For 7.0, it looks like it will be
python scripting support.

--
Joel