debugging threads on 64bit GNU/Linux with 32bit debugger?

Hello,

I have a feeling this is a familiar question, but I'm still unsure at
the answer after my searches on this list as well as on the general web.

Here is the situation: We're using a gcc/gdb toolset built on a 32bit
x86-linux machine. We're using this toolset on a 64bit machine running
a 64bit GNU/Linux machine. The resulting executable is runing in 32bit
compatibility mode.

Everything seems to be working fine, except that we're having trouble
debugging threaded apps. The thread library used is the NPTL, and the
debugger is reporting to use what seems to be the correct (32bit)
instance of the libthread_db library (the 32bit version in /lib/tls,
not the one in /lib64/tls).

The debugger fails at startup time saying:

        Cannot find new threads: generic error

The version info of the C library our application is using reads:

    % /lib/tls/libc.so.6
    GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.5 (20050720), by Roland McGrath et
+al.
    PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
    Configured for i686-suse-linux.
    Compiled by GNU CC version 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux).
    Compiled on a Linux 2.6.5 system on 2006-08-09.
    Available extensions:
            GNU libio by Per Bothner
            crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
            Native POSIX Threads Library by Ulrich Drepper et al
            GNU Libidn by Simon Josefsson
            NoVersion patch for broken glibc 2.0 binaries
            BIND-8.2.3-T5B
            NIS(YP)/NIS+ NSS modules 0.19 by Thorsten Kukuk
    Thread-local storage support included.
    <http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/bugs.html>.

Is our setup supposed to work? Is this a known issue of this
version of the libc (I saw that glibc is now at version 2.6)?
Any hint?

Thanks a lot,
--
Joel