inconsistency in thread naming

When gdb switches to a particular thread it prints something like

[Switching to Thread 12345]

But the "thread" command takes thread numbers, e.g.

(gdb) thread 3

This inconsistency is a pain.  Any objections to making things more
consistent?  Any opinions on how this should work?  A minimalist
solution might be to include the thread number (3 in the above
example) in the [Switching to ...] message.  If there was a consistent
way to distinguish thread number(3) from thread id(12345) [apologies
if my terminology if wrong], then the "thread" command could take
either.  E.g. one might support "thread 3" or "thread #12345".  I
don't have a strong opinion on what to choose, I'm just thinking out
loud.