Debugging a Vlc dll with GDB.

Hello,

I am currently using GDB v.6.5.50.20060706. One of my
colleague built an application (VLCTest.exe) by using
Visual Studio C++ 6.0 and used the MFC. His
application uses the libvlc.dll of an open source
application called Vlc. Unfortunately, Vlc has some
bug(s) and we want to find them, correct them and
suggest patches to the maintainers. So, our work will
help the open source community.

It tried to put a breakpoint into VLCTest.exe but it
did not work:

gdb -silent -e VLCTest.exe -s VLCTest.exe == "no
debugging symbols found"

Instead of it I can put a breakpoint into libvlc.dll
(let's say function libvlc_new()). I tried but it did
not work:

gdb -silent -e VLCTest.exe -s VLCTest.exe == "no
debugging symbols found"
file libvlc.dll          == reading symbols from
libvlc.dll ... done
break libvlc_new   == breakpoint 1 at bla bla bla
run VLCTest.exe  == error creating process
/cygdrive/c/cygwin/myapp/libvlc.dll

As you can see my goal is to step into the libvlc.dll.
Can you suggest me a method?
I tought about creating a new project under Eclipse to
build VLCTest.exe but it seems
to be an overkill.

Best regards,

abraxis