questions about s/w and h/w breakpoint in GDB

Greeting!

I have couple of questions regarding gdb with remote target in Sparc:

1) how to configure the gdb to issue an h/w breakpoint?

2) in software breakpoint, gdb 'cont' command will issue this
following serial protocol commands
after setting breakpoint, say at location of 0x50c57c:

- Z0,50c57c
- Hc0
- C11
- c
- g
- z0,50c57c

then the target return SIGSTOP, gdb stops at prompt, the target stops
at 0x50c57c and
then we type gdb command 'cont' again, it issues the following commands:

- m50c57c
- Z0,50c580
- Hc1
- C11
- c
- g
- z0,50c580

sounds like gdb implements the s/w bp as:

insert bp, exec, insert step-bp and exec.

Do we have to type two 'cont' to make one single exec of the breakpoint?
what is the right behavior from the target?

Thanks
Jesse