Re: GDB/Mingw make problem

Gerrit van Niekerk wrote:
On 14 Jan 2008 at 16:12, DJ Delorie wrote:

?? I'd expect --target=djgpp do that automatically (it's a
cross-compilation, right?)
It's the difference between a cygwin-x-djgpp cross compiler and a
mingw-x-djgpp cross compiler.  If --host is mingw, you're actually
doing a canadian (although configure doesn't realize it, so it's not
the traditional build/host/target canadian), so you need to ensure
that CC is set right.

Otherwise, in the example given, you're trying to build cygwin
programs using mingw headers, or something like that.  Subtle bugs
ensue.

The idea is to get a cross debugger to debug a remote DJGPP system using a MinGw GDB and a TCP/IP connection. The stock MinGW GDB works fine, except that it expects a PE target and fails to do address to symbol conversions correctly. The other way round works fine and one can do debugging, but a backtrace gives completely wrong results.

I have managed to move on from the last reported problem which was caused by configure/make specifying the wrong include path for libintl.h. I solved that one by copying libintl.h to the specified directory. Now I am having a problem with conflicts between winsock2.h and unistd.h both declaring Winsock functions like gethostname(). It seems that the makefile uses Cygwin headers rather than MinGW headers.

If you don't use -mno-cygwin then gcc *will* use cygwin headers. Otherwise, if you do use -mno-cygwin, then it still might - the search paths are not quite right - but usually only as a fall back if there isn't a mingw header of that name.

Andrew