RE: -var-update using formatted value

 > > I don't like this change.  If I change the format to hexadecimal, 11 -> 0xb
 > > say, the display should change, so I would like GDB to report it through
 > > -var-update.
 >
 > > Previously -var-evaluate-expression was needed because values weren't
 > > displayed when variable objects were created (-var-create now includes the
 > > value field, -var-list-children has the --all-values option).  Given that
 > > -var-update provides a record of all changes, I'm not sure that
 > > -var-evaluate-expression is necessary now.
 >
 > It is starting to come together now :-)
 > What you are missing is for -var-set-format to have the --all-values flag.
 > Then, I believe you can stop using -var-evaluate-expression.  Using
 > -var-update instead of var-evaluate-expression or -var-set-format
 > --all-values seems kind of a hack...

I don't use -var-evaluate-expression for current GDB.

 > What do you think of that?  Vladimir's patch and --all-values in set-format?
 > To me, it seems like the proper solution.

If I don't like Vladimir's patch on its own, I don't see why I should like it
with --all-values in -var-set-format.  But I'm probably missing your point.

What would "-var-set-format --all-values" return?  The value in the current
format or all formats?

When GDB stops I use "-var-update --all-values" to find out which watch
expressions have changed.  What are you proposing that I should use?