Re: How to load only selected libraries?

We did this at Apple a while back. We have a command "set sharedlibrary load-rules" that works like:

(gdb) help set sharedlibrary load-rules
Set the rules governing the level of symbol loading for shared libraries.
* Each load rule is a triple.
* The command takes a flattened list of triples.
* The first two elements of the triple specify the library, by giving
- "who loaded it" (i.e. dyld, cfm or all) in the first element,
- and a regexp to match the library name in the second.
* The last element specifies the level of loading for that library
- The options are: all, extern, container or none.

Example: To load only external symbols from all dyld-based system libraries, use:
set sharedlibrary load-rules dyld ^/System/Library.* extern

The "who loaded it" is an Apple specific bit and I don't know if that would be relevant for any other system. Originally there were two loaders on Mac OS X - the CFM loader which handled modules built with the older classic Mac OS object file format, and dyld which handles the "native" mac os object file format. We had to support CFM for a while because some of the larger software vendors who had Mac OS code bases didn't want to have to switch object file formats and OS'es at the same time...

The load levels have the meaning:

none - only note the FACT that the library has loaded, nothing else
container - make the section table for the library, but don't read any symbols
extern - roughly read the minysms for the exported functions in the library. This is a little more tricky for ObjC, since there are very few exported symbols, all the methods are stored in ObjC runtime data structures, but we consider them "extern" since that's what they are functionally.
all - obvious

The load rules work from left to right, and the first match sets the state. So you can do:

set sharedlibrary load-rules dyld ^/usr/lib/myLibrary.dylib all dyld ^/ usr/lib/.* extern

to load all the symbols from your library, but not for other libraries on the same path...

Then there's a command:

(gdb) help sharedlibrary set-load-state
Set the load level of a library (given by the index from "info sharedlibrary").

Whereby you modify the state.

Manually monkeying around with these states was not a very good user experience. Furthermore, to get things to work right, you sometimes have to automatically load in symbols. For instance, a lot of times, backtraces don't work very well if you don't have symbols for the functions in the backtrace, so if we see a shared library in a backtrace we auto-raise the load levels.

We found that when you have an IDE that knows the relationship between source files & built products, you can usually get away with setting all the load levels to Extern, then letting the automatic raising bring in symbols as you encounter them. The one missing bit is how to set file & line breakpoints. For that we added:

(gdb) break -shlib <Foo.dylib> bar.c:12

which has the dual function of restricting the breakpoint to Foo.dylib & also instructing gdb to load the symbols for Foo.dylib before setting the breakpoint.

I tried for a while to get lowering the symbol level of a library to work, but there are too many places in gdb - particularly if you use variable objects much - where objfile data is referenced. In the end it didn't seem a useful enough feature to be worth the bother.

The changes are kind of all over, I don't know how useful it would be to look at them. But this basic model seems to have worked pretty well. It certainly has made a big difference in debugging on a system like Mac OS X, where you generally pull in lots & lots of shlibs, many of which you don't at all care about...

Jim