Re: unable to attach to setuid program that as reverted it privilege

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 01:59:48PM -0600, Michael Potter wrote:
> I will speculate that the logic behind that is even tho the program
> does not have root privilege now, it could have something in left over
> in memory from when it did have root privilege.  I think this is a

Correct.  For instance, it could have an open file descriptor to a
root-owned file or a privileged network socket.  There's lots of
things you can inherit.

> good default behavior, but I am hopeful that some clever programmer
> has found a way to change their program such that gdb can attach to
> it.

It has nothing to do with the program; this is part of your kernel's
security model.  Sorry.  I believe it's pretty much universal behavior
across Unix-like systems.

> Suggestions on alternatives such as a way to switch users without root
> privileges
> are welcome.

Allow "sudo -u otheruser ./nonsetuid-copy-of-program" ?

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery