Re: Finding ld.so dynamic loader

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 09:00:35AM -0800, Michael Eager wrote:
IMO, if this prefix is not set by the user, the environment
symbol or path should be searched, with the host system searched
as a final choice.  I can create a patch to do this if desired.

It's harder than it sounds to figure out whether we're native debugging or remote debugging once you're down in the shared library code; I don't think it's worth it. I have no preference whether we search the solib-search-path before or after the sysroot, though I am a little worried about breaking existing setups...

There's a chain of calls from remote_open() to enable_break() to solib_open(). It would be possible to set a global flag (arrgh!) in remote_open() which could be checked in solib_open(). It would also seem reasonable to have a flag set in the gdb-arch code to say not to search host system directories.

Somewhere along the way the principle of least surprise should
kick in.  I only noticed this because my target has a dynamic
loader named "/lib/ld.so.1".  If it had been "/lib/ld-linux.so.2"
then gdb would have quietly placed a breakpoint on the target
at whatever location would be correct on the host system.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077