Re: stack trace and breaking before crash

Taras D wrote:

> What am I doing wrong here? I'd like to get this 'core' option working
> as the other option starts gdb in a DOS command prompt, which prevents
> you from using any other type of interface with gdb (emacs/gui/etc)

I don't think you're doing anything wrong.  It looks like the JIT
debugger code in Cygwin and/or dumper might need some bugfixes.  The
reason that continuing works is that it simply retriggers the fault
again at the same location where it faulted the first time.  Apparently
at the point where gdb and/or dumper attaches to the process, the
location of the fault is already lost and execution is somewhere inside
the ntdll bowels in the exception handling code.

If you don't like the command prompt (note: not DOS!) you can easily
write a simple wrapper executable that invokes whatever debugger you
prefer... in fact you can put your debugger as the error_start
parameter.  The only catch is that error_start has to name a real
executable, it can't name a script or interpreter or batch file.  And
you don't have control over the arguments passed, $1 is the path to the
binary and $2 is the pid.

Brian