scoping rules for disp / bp where there is no code

Hi,

We use gdb 6.6. and stabs.

When having disp'ed a global variable and a variable/parameter with the
same name is also local to a function,
then gdb does not show the local value, when stepping into the function.
Without looking into code I suppose that the binding to an address is when
the user does "disp ...".
        But shouldn't GDB better use the scoping rules given by C/C++ or
other languages?
        Does that depend on the type of debug info used?
Else a help hint should maybe be added.

Another thing:
    GDB's response to setting a breakpoint at a line where there is no
code, i.e. which is not in the line table, is as if there were code,
    just that the actual breakpoint is set in the line nearest to the line
specified in the command, which can be quite far away.
    I suggest that the message in this case should show the actual line
where the bp was set, maybe with the additional info that the specified
line does not have code.

Best Regards, Roland