Question on 'set tdesc filename <path>'.

Hello,

 Is there actually a scenario when the user would ask that the target description be
 read from /<path> (locally, host-side) rather then relying on the default behaviour
 to have GDB read the description from the target? What is the rationale for
 'set tdesc filename <path>'? I would imagine that since ultimately, the target (stub)
 defines the order in which it will send back the register values in response to a
 g-packet, the target description should /always/ come from the target side - as is
 the default behaviour. (So my understanding is that the XML descriptions provided
 in the GDB sources are purely as reference for bare-metal application writers to use
 in their remote-stub implementations).

But, perhaps I am missing something here; please could somebody tell me?

Thanks,
Anmol.