Re: Question on 'set tdesc filename <path>'.

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 11:50:27AM -0500, Anmol P. Paralkar wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  Is there actually a scenario when the user would ask that the target description be
>  read from /<path> (locally, host-side) rather then relying on the default behaviour
>  to have GDB read the description from the target?

Yes: if a deployed target does not support supplying the description
automatically.  One possible reason might be space constraints on the
target system.  Another might be that the target stub is simply old.

It's also useful for testing.

>  the default behaviour. (So my understanding is that the XML descriptions provided
>  in the GDB sources are purely as reference for bare-metal application writers to use
>  in their remote-stub implementations).

They are provided as reference, but also built-in to both GDB and
gdbserver for internal use.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery