Re: Question on 'set tdesc filename <path>'.

On Fri, 9 May 2008, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 11:50:27AM -0500, Anmol P. Paralkar wrote:
Hello,

 Is there actually a scenario when the user would ask that the target description be
 read from /<path> (locally, host-side) rather then relying on the default behaviour
 to have GDB read the description from the target?

Yes: if a deployed target does not support supplying the description automatically. One possible reason might be space constraints on the target system. Another might be that the target stub is simply old.

It's also useful for testing.

Oh, OK. So in these cases, the register ordering in the description had better match-up what the remote-stub (implements and) sends - I mean, since in the case where the remote side sends the description, this is automatically ensured as GDB parses in the XML. I follow why the command is needed, thanks.

 the default behaviour. (So my understanding is that the XML descriptions provided
 in the GDB sources are purely as reference for bare-metal application writers to use
 in their remote-stub implementations).

They are provided as reference, but also built-in to both GDB and gdbserver for internal use.

So, in the case of PowerPC, the [pu]trace interface would only provide the standard 71 registers; what if we want to contribute back a description that defines more than those? Is it OK for a description to have more than what the [pu]trace interface provides, since you say that this gets built-in to GDB & gdbserver?

Thanks,
Anmol.

-- Daniel Jacobowitz CodeSourcery