Question on attribute save-restore in reg elements (target descriptions).

Hello,

Per Appendix F, Sec. F.2.5 Registers, of the GDB User Manual:

save-restore

    Whether the register should be preserved across inferior function
    calls; this must be either yes or no. The default is yes, which
    is appropriate for most registers except for some system control
    registers; this is not related to the target's ABI.

 In our target description file, we have a lot of special purpose
 registers about which nothing might be assumed either way, so in
 addition to 'yes' and 'no', can we have an "unspecified" value to
 this attribute, (say, denoted by '?')? In what way does GDB use this
 information?

PS: Please could you also clarify the term 'inferior function'?

Thank you,
Anmol.