Re: THUMB code detection for ADS 1.2 ELF emages

Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to use GDB to work with ARM ELF images produced by ADS 1.2 (ARM toolchain, a liitle bit old).
I can do almost all I want with ARM code. But GDB works incorrectly with THUMB code: I cannot disassemle the code, GDB places breakpoints at incorrect address, stepping with 'ni'.

In GDB source code I've found that it completely ignores some special symbols ($t, $a, $d ...) that ADS places to an ELF file.
Dan Jacobowitz added this bit of machinery recently; see http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2008-05/msg00113.html . He points out that this should be a rare case, only needed if Arm and Thumb code are mixed within a single file; so if your GDB is having trouble detecting Thumb code, maybe there is some other problem, perhaps the toolchain is not marking the executable correctly?

Stan