Re: GDB Focus Group at the 2008 GCC Summit

Zitat von Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>:
Hello,

Hi,

we had a couple of 45min sessions where we discussed various items
related to GDB. I took some brief notes, although I might have forgotten
one or two. Anyway, here is what I wrote:

Thanks.

| * Next GDB Release:
|     For people really interested in trying it out before the official
|     release, perhaps either:
|       - Announce various nightly tarballs that contain the features
|       - Or perhaps create a 6.9 branch but never release 6.9. Just
|         make various pre-releases 6.8.90, 6.8.91, etc.

I was going to say that I prefer the second option, with this reasoning: when we have the new interesting features in HEAD and in a reasonably feature-complete state, we could branch and point people at that so that they can try it out and at the same time be isolated from unrelated unstable development.

On the other hand, CVS HEAD has pretty much always been reliable to me, so in
the case of GDB that general "release engineering" logic doesn't need to be
used. So I guess the first option is good enough for us, and will save some
branch maintenance work.

|     Suggestion: Make sure that the distros build GDB with Python
|     enabled when support is provided in a release.

I think that this is a no-brainer for the distros...

By the way, thanks for organizing the get-together lunch!

And thanks to Daniel for organizing the BoF.
--
[]'s
Thiago Jung Bauermann