Re: GDB Focus Group at the 2008 GCC Summit

> Objection!  I have played with SVN for work and I really dilike the
> fact that a checked out repository is very grep unfriendly.

Could you tell us what part is causing trouble with grep?
Is it the fact that there is a copy of the checked out version
inside the sandbox metadata?

Roughly around the same time that the GCC project transitioned to SVN,
we at AdaCore also slowly started transitioning our own repositories
away from CVS to SVN as well. There might be some issues that SVN
introduce (huge amount of metadata, for instance), but overall we have
found that the benefits it brings over CVS are well worth the transition.

The alternatives are: (1) staying with CVS or (2) transitioning to
another VC system. I do think that we have much to gain by transitioning
to a more modern VC. SVN seemed the natural choice since the GCC
project adopted it, and the transition from CVS to SVN is very easy
from the user's perspective.  I don't mind looking at other alternatives,
but I think it would only make sense if we looked at distributed VC systems
such as git or hg.

--
Joel