Re: Automatic dependency tracking

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 09:20:10PM +0200, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > Option three: we could manually list dependencies on generated files,
> > and support dependencies on source files only on systems with GNU
> > make.  This effectively means GNU make is a requirement if you are
> > hacking on GDB, but not to build GDB from a clean tree.
>
> Given the way CVS handles time stamps on checkouts, this probably gets
> me in the same situation as above.

Could you elaborate?  I don't think I understand the problem.

What I had in mind was having configure detect GNU Make and
enable/disable (equivalent of AM_CONDITIONAL) the dependency
tracking code in the generated Makefile.  So timestamps shouldn't
matter; the only new failure mode is that if you modify a header,
the source files including it might not be automatically rebuilt.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery