Re: Move GDB to C++ ?

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 10:51:30AM +0100, Andrew STUBBS wrote:
> A while ago there was some idea of a libgdb that would abstract the
> debugger back end from the interface (or I may have totally misunderstood
> what the whole thing was about). I haven't heard much about it recently,
> and the libgdb that exists seems to be something of a build artefact,
> rather than a useful abstraction. If such an idea still exists, what
> affect would switching to C++ have on that plan? Would it make it easier?
> Or would it just make it incompatible with non-C++ projects?

I don't think such an idea still exists.  We've sunk our effort into
MI instead.

Oddly, even though the idea doesn't exist, it has one user that I know
of (in the Free Pascal IDE).  The way it works is quite terrifying;
there's a Pascal interface definition that includes several versions
of each of GDB's core types for selected GDB versions.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery