Re: (maybe) Async mode failures on PPC

Hey Pedro,

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 17:57 +0100, Pedro Alves wrote:
> Hi Luis,
>
> On Monday 14 July 2008 17:31:42, Luis Machado wrote:
> > Steps to reproduce this failure:
> >
> > 1 - Load the watchpoint.exp test binary into gdb.
> > 2 - start it and next over a few lines.
>
> I can't reproduce it on x86 (sync or async), neither with your
> recipe or by running the watchpoint.exp test.

It seems to be a ppc-specific thing. I forgot to mention that you need
to place a watchpoint on variable "ptr1" to trigger this. When no
watchpoints are inserted, it runs as expected. And this is sync mode, i
did not turn async on, and i presume it's off by default, like it was
until recently.

> :-(
>
> The "Target is executing" notice comes from frame.c:get_current_frame.
>
> I couldn't figure out for sure from your description of the
> problem if this only happens in async, or if it happen in sync as well,
> but I understood async only.
>
> Why is GDB trying to get the current frame of an executing
> thread, or why does GDB think that the current thread is
> executing at this point, if it isn't?
>
> Can you do a bit of debugging and figure out what is the
> code path that ended up triggering the first error?
> get_current_frame is called from too many places to be able
> to do an educated guess.

Yes, sorry. I was just wondering if anyone else was having the same
problem and did not provide much info about it. I'll dig into it and
will provide the code path for the error as it seems to be a regression.
But i feel it's related somehow to watchpoints.

Regards,
Luis