Re: Move GDB to C++ ?

On Friday 01 August 2008 15:52:01 Mark Kettenis wrote:
> More concretely.  On OpenBSD we build GDB as a native debugger on all
> our platforms.  Some of these platforms still use GCC 2.95.3, because
> later versions are slower, have a bigger memory footprint and have
> more bugs, at least as far as the C compiler is concerned.  Others use
> GCC 3.3.5 for much the same reason.  This is unlikely to change soon,
> especially if GCC is going to be rewritten in C++.  Rewriting GDB in
> C++ is bad news for those platforms because GCC 2.95.3 is not a very
> good C++ compiler and ships with an outdated STL library.

gcc 2.95.3 is a pretty good compiler for a reasonably usable subset
of C++. The accompanying Standard Library fits the same bill.

I've used both until about a year ago for some old project that was
not easily portable for other reasons.

There is absolutely no need to believe that moving a few but important
baby steps towards C++ would kill gdb on OpenBSD.

AndrÃ