Re: gdb supported on powerpc-apple-darwin ?

Hi Rolf,

Dr. Rolf Jansen wrote:
Am 16.08.2008 um 11:44 schrieb Mario Emmenlauer:

BTW: Apple developers: is the current (and upcoming) Apple gdb
still based on gdb's 2005 code?

Apple gdb has been forked from GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815. And the current version shipped with Xcode 3.1 is (Apple version gdb-960). The lates version that can be downloaded at Apples OS site is gdb-961.

Is 961 the commit- (i.e. change-)number? Or does it correspond to another way of labeling releases?

The term "still based" in your question implies too much. Apple forked GDB in 2005 and since then it became a different product, there a so many (well documented) additions since then, that it cannot simply be based on a newer FSF gdb. In fact that would mean to fork it again.

I see. But is there an information exchange going on?

I could not find newer commits in
the Changelog of gdb-908, are they just undocumented?

Look at:

<http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/iPhoneSDKBeta8/gdb-961/>

I was indeed missing 'ChangeLog-Apple', because it does not exist in the root directory of gdb-908 (which was the newest release I could find on the Mac developer pages). I'm sorry for the confusion, it seems there is some active development going on.

Which version of FSF gdb does gdb-908 compare to?

Compare in which respect? Which features are you looking for?

The question was based on the assumption that there is a common patch base on both forks. If the information exchange is little, it does not make sense to try to compare.

I'm not actually missing a specific feature. I have rather experienced
bad performance and integration with my favorite GUI, using the mi
(actually mi2, I believe) interface. I read that the Apple fork is not
completely compatible in respect to this interface, for the sake of
better Xcode integration, which made me hope the FSF gdb would work
better.

Is there a compatibility mode for the Apple fork?

Cheers,

Mario