This GDB was configured as "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu"...
Cannot access memory at address 0x2aaaaabc29c8
(gdb) bt
#0  0x00002aaaaabc9345 in ?? ()
#1  0x00000000400179f0 in ?? ()
#2  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

That is:
- gdb does not load symbols from binaries
- as a result, gdb does not detect threads (because IIRC libthread_db would be loaded when some libpthread.so symbols are detected in the process)
- the backtrace seems incorrect: if I have a "full" core dump, gdb shows the following stack trace:

(gdb) bt
#0  0x00002aaaaabc9345 in pthread_create@@GLIBC_2.2.5 ()
   from /lib/libpthread.so.0
#1  0x00000000004005c8 in main (argc=<value optimized out>,
    argv=<value optimized out>) at thrcore.c:24

So, I have the following questions to the community:
- what can I do (eg. in my kernel patch) to have gdb load symbols from binaries?
- do you have any comment on my approach? (eg. I *think* I've seen AIX produce small dumps, but I have no idea how they do it, if it's a special file format, etc.)

Thanks for your comments!

Cheers, Jean-Marc

--
saffroy@gmail.com