HOWTO for porting GDB published

I've just completed porting GDB 6.8 to the OpenRISC 1000 architecture.
This was an exercise originally done for GDB 5.0 and 5.3, but which has
since languished.

I achieved this by using the GDB Internals manual, looking at ports of
other architectures, and a great deal of poring over the GDB source.

I realized that there is no proper guide for an engineer porting GDB for
the first time. The GDB Internals manual is aimed at developers of GDB
itself, not porters - it is also not yet complete. Looking at ports for
other architectures helps - but which is the best one, and does it have
similar features?

But I got there in the end, thanks to the generous advice from
contributors to this mailing list and the GDB IRC channel. To help
others, I have written up what I did as a HOWTO manual for porting GDB,
using the OpenRISC 1000 port for examples. It's at

  http://www.embecosm.com/download/ean3.html

I hope this is a useful contribution. I'd welcome feedback and any
suggestions for how this first issue could be improved.

For those interested in the OpenRISC 1000 port itself, this is available
at

  http://www.embecosm.com/download/esp3.html

I've also included a Doxygen analysis, giving the documentation of all
functions in the port and their calling and dependency graphs.

I look forward to your feedback.

Jeremy

--
Tel:      +44 (1202) 416955