reverse trace [was: vmware's replay framework and gdb]

I Cannot comment on VMWares effort, but reading this I had an idea and thought
I would share...

The overall problem with reverse tracing as I see it is one of caching the old
values basically as they change.  One way to get at this is to integrate a SQL
database with transaction support into the trace subsystem.  The you can view
the entire history back and forth.

So, if you are willing to do a little brainstorming along these lines the
following questions arise:

*) is there some easy way to get the symbol table and integrate that info back
into gdb and associate the variables/memory blocks with each line of code?

*) is there some computationally inexpensive way to trap memory changes and
associate the timing with source lines and execution times?

Once all this information is funneled through a relational database, you can
then either grab the current state of each variable or reconstruct it on the fly.

Just an idea, and I hope this kind of speculative response is considered
acceptable to the group.

  EBo --