High cpu usage when stepping in a function

Hello all

I have a very annoying problem with gdb 6.8 (also happened in previous
versions). My system is gentoo (x86).

So, i have a dynamically linked very large executable (300mb - libs +
main program). My problem is that if i stop in a breakpoint and try to
STEP into a function sometimes this thing takes ages, my cpu goes to
100% utilization and keeps this way. Eventually gdb enters that
function. My guess is gdb is searching for something. This thing never
happens when statically linked but the static, linking takes ages.

Thx
Mihai