Re: Classifying core files?

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 12:09:08PM -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
> This seems brittle, esp. the first part using "file" and parsing the
> output of GDB to find the executable.  Does anyone have any better
> options?  Are there any "info" operations in GDB I could use, given
> _only_ the core file, that can help me?  What about some way of tagging
> the executables themselves, either with a string or somehow in the
> executable ELF image that would get added to the core, that I could
> query given just the resulting core file?

Sounds like you should take a look at Roland's and Jan's work on
build-id notes.  There's also a Linux kernel patch that causes the ELF
notes for the executable to be dumped to the core file; it should be
easy to replicate onto another system that supports core dumping.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery