Re: "coding: utf-8" emacs local variable in ChangeLog (?)

> Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 11:05:52 +0100 (CET)
> From: Mark Kettenis <mark.kettenis@xs4all.nl>
> CC: brobecker@adacore.com, gdb@sourceware.org, ludo@gnu.org
>
> > In which case Emacs uses your locale to set up things.  I'm guessing
> > that your locale is not a UTF-8 one, probably Latin-1 or Latin-9?
>
> I'm using the locale that <deity> intended to be used on a UNIX
> system: the "C" locale ;).

The "C" locale has Latin-1 as its default for non-ASCII, IIRC.  So
that's why Emacs tries to decode the file as Latin-1, when there's no
`coding' cookie.

> > > Obviously that is not true on all systems.
> >
> > "Obviously"?  You mean, Ludo's name is not displayed correctly on your
> > system even after the `coding' cookie was added?
>
> Yes, that's what I have been trying to tell you in the last couple of mails.

Sorry, I must have missed that.  Please tell again: is it in the GUI
session or on a text-only terminal?