RE: Discussing the next GDB release (GDB 7.0?)

> For what its worth, I can't speak to the level of criticality of
> process record and replay, but we would really like to see this in
> the 7.0 release.
>
> I am almost ready with the Eclipse support for it (I manually
> applied the patches to GDB) and plan on doing a demo at EclipseCon.
> From what I was told, reverse debugging generates a lot of interest
> in people and would be a great addition to GDB.
>
> Great work on the whole Reverse Debugging feature and
> Process Record and Replay!

I wonder if record/replay and reverse debugging are one and the same feature
from the perspective of inclusion in gdb 7.0?  It seems so from the above?
Logically, they can be separated into at least five parts:

* revexec support in gdb-serial

* reveexec support in MI

* revexec support in the gdb kernel

* record/replay as one way to effect revexec for the case of
x86-linux-user-process

* revexec from external sources, such as VMWare, Simics, and other simulators

Which parts of these are currently under consideration for inclusion in the
first 7.0 release?

Best regards,

/jakob

Jakob Engblom, PhD, Technical Marketing Manager

Virtutech?????????????????? Direct: +46 8 690 07 47???
Drottningholmsvägen 22????? Mobile: +46 709 242 646??
11243 Stockholm???????????? Web:??? www.virtutech.com?
Sweden
?