Re: problem remote debugging

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 04:59:48PM -0800, Brendan Miller wrote:
> I'm having a problem with remote debugging where when debugging
> locally I will launch fine, but when remotely debugging my program
> will fail to open a certain text file, then segfault.
>
> Both the host and client are running x86 RHEL4. The gdb version is
> 6.3.0.0-1.153.el4rh.

A frequent cause of this problem is different patch levels of
libraries installed on the two systems.  If they don't exactly match,
you need a copy on the host of the target's libraries, and to use set
sysroot.  Otherwise GDB may place internal breakpoints in the wrong
locations, leading to mayhem.

Also, this is a very old GDB - I always recommend trying the latest
(GDB and gdbserver).

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery