Re: google summer of code

El jue, 26-02-2009 a las 09:34 -0800, Joel Brobecker escribiÃ:
> Hey Thiago,
>
> Nice initiative :)

Thanks!

> > I was wondering whether we want to participate in the Google Summer of
> > Code. The application period for mentoring organizations is from March 9
> > until March 13th, so now is a good time to decide if it will be
> > beneficial for us.
>
> I think help is beneficial to the project, but only if we know we have
> GMs available for review, or at least Area Maintainers for the projects
> that we are considering entering...

Indeed. So we can discuss project ideas, and then evaluate this point.

> > There are some disadvantages too. From what I read, the main problem is
> > that mentoring a student takes some time and effort. From the GSoC
> > Mentors Wiki:
>
> I agree. I just tutored someone whom we contracted out to give us
> a hand finishing one internal project (which was not GDB, but it was
> something more approachable in a short amount of time), and I sometimes
> felt sucked into the project. This should definitely be weighed in
> anyone's decision to mentor someone.

I'll probably volunteer to mentor someone. I just want to learn a bit
more about what's involved, and writeups from people who did it in the
past.

> > 1. Help with Python scripting support;
>
> To me, this would be a very promising project because:
>   . The project is very exciting (I think)
>   . We have active developers
>   . Reviews seem to be done very quickly.

Agreed!

> Note that it would be nice if the project was focusing on the FSF GDB,
> but if it makes things simpler for whoever submits an entry and/or
> mentors the project, it's fine with me if the project gets attached
> to Archer, for instance. This decision can only be at the discretion
> of the people who spend the effort on this project, after all...

At least for the Python support, IMHO we could use the Archer repo while
the student is working on it, and then have a requirement of having the
feature submitted and accepted upstream for the project to be considered
finished.
--
[]'s
Thiago Jung Bauermann