Edit-and-Continue and running-backward

Hi,
I got two questions about GDB

1. Does GDB has something like "Edit and Continue" as in Visual C++? More
specifically, in VC, "Edit and Continue is a time-saving feature that
enables you to make changes to your source code while your program is in
break mode. When you resume execution of the program by choosing an
execution command like Continue or Step, Edit and Continue automatically
applies the code changes with some limitations. This allows you to make
changes to your code during a debugging session, instead of having to stop,
recompile your entire program, and restart the debugging session."

2. How to get the ability to run programs backward? What is "target
environment" in this description "If the target environment supports it, gdb
can allow you to ârewindâ the program by running it backward" and how to
make my target environment support it? I am programming sometimes in Linux
with emacs or with IDE Code::Blocks.

Thanks in advance!