Re: [RFC] GDB ARIndex Linux rule cleanup

On Wednesday 15 April 2009 16:32:16, Ulrich Weigand wrote:
> > /* Create a prototype generic GNU/Linux target.=20=20
> Pedro wrote:
> > I'm of the oposite opinion. ?I consider *this* a bug. ?This
> > file (linux-nat.c) concerns about abstracting of ptrace and /proc
> > interfaces, which are kernel defined interfaces.
>
> See my reply to Eli ... lots of target-specific information is *not*
> related to the Linux kernel, but the platform ABI, libc, libpthread ...

We're diverging a lot.  None of that matters to linux-nat.c.
The word "target" is seriously overloaded in GDB.  It means different
things depending on context.  ABI specific details, platform abis, and libc
issues are handled elsewhere...  The "prototype generic target" that comment
is refering to, is to the fact that this file is then inherited and
specialized by an arch specific layer (i386-linux-nat.c, etc.)...

Really, the ARI rule is only inventing work, because it have all
the context humans do.  Some artificial heuristic will only
byte us from time to time for no good.  I'd be surprised to hear
that someone (a human) reading or hacking on GDB's code was
confused by any of this.

Anyway, I'm out of here.

--
Pedro Alves