Core dump information when code is optimized

Hi,

When I compile only with -O1 flag - my core dump information does not show line number or offset (when a segmentation fault has occurred).
Only when I add the -g flag does the core dump contain line number information - but the executable's size grows significantly!

Is there a way to get this information with core dump - but maintain the optimized sized executable?

Thanks!