Re: What is keeping GDB in CVS ?

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> You're reading more into what I wrote than I intended.  I wasn't
> proposing any trickery.  I'm just saying that, IMO, if a group of files
> is shared between projects the shared group of files should be stored in
> their own repository.
>
> I haven't used git so maybe it adds extra wrinkles but I can't see how
> it would be THAT hard to accommodate keeping things in separate
> directories.  You can either use symlinks, or, 'source' lines in shell
> scripts and 'include' lines in Makefiles.

It seems quite clear to me that all these files should be automatically
tagged when the projects using them are tagged and branched when those
projects are branched and the tagged or branched versions should be
checked out automatically when the tag or branch is checked out.  You can
of course invent systems for tagging or branching in multiple
repositories, but if you require people to do something that's not the
normal way of using whatever version control system is used then trouble
will inevitably result (cf. the present issues with not being able to use
"cvs update -d" as normal in the present arrangements).  As I said in the
binutils discussion, version control systems should make common tasks easy
and mistakes in common tasks difficult.  (This suggests allowing commits
to the shared files anywhere and automatically merging everywhere else
behind the scenes as the friendliest arrangement even if harder to
implement.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com