Re: -stack-list-locals and children

[I assume you did not CC list accidentally, readding it back]

On Monday 29 June 2009 you wrote:

> >> Basic tests showed me that -var-create is relatively slow for large lists.
> >
> > How slow and how did you measure this? I would not expect variable objects to
> > be considerably slower than printing the value in any other way.
> I measured using -enable-timings. I did -var-create for a QStringList
> with 1000 items,
> took 0.6sec.

This is the current problem with GDB -- it will always try to fetch all
children, which has other problems besides performance. In particular,
if you try to get children of an invalid object, gdb might never finish.
Tom is planning to address this issue soon, and we'll be able to have
incremental fetch of varobj children -- much like we have for stack
frames in KDevelop already.

Also, is -stack-list-locals any better here? I'd expect it to either have
exactly the same performance problems, or ignore pretty-printing. If it
is considerably faster while still reporting 1000 children, it's performance
bug somewhere.

- Volodya