Re: -stack-list-locals and children

Andrà PÃnitz wrote:

> On Monday 29 June 2009 11:39:27 Vladimir Prus wrote:
>> > One point was always to reduce the number of roundtrips before
>> > being able to display the variable view. I think that's a valid point
>> > also from a KDevelop angle of view.
>>
>> Right, but how variable type is helping? Is it used *just* to populate
>> the "type" field in variable view? Or is it also involved in QtCreator's
>> pretty-printing mechanisms somehow?
>
> Right. They are also primary information for the current incarnation of
> Qt Creator's pretty-printing.
>
> However I don't want center the argumentation around the needs of
> a specific IDE though if there is a "cross-IDE" reason. And reducing
> roundtrip count should be fairly cross-IDE ;-}

To summarise yesterday's IRC discussion and today's commits:

1. -stack-list-locals --simple-values does print type.
2. -stack-list-arguments did not accept --simple-values, but instead
accepted a numerical '2' to mean the same. I've now checked in a patch
to make it accept --simple-values as well.
3. Making -stack-list-locals and -stack-list-arguments always print
the type is a simple -- does it seem desirable? I would
say yes, unless we expect frontend to do some other mechanism to discover
types of complex variables.

- Volodya