3X testsuite slow-down?

I just did a cvs update, and the time that it takes to run "make check"
jumped from 8 minutes to 24 minutes.

Unfortunately I can't pin down the date of my last cvs update before
this one any closer than June 23, but I'm pretty sure it was more
recent than that.

Can't say if this is associated with the recent changes in the
testsuite makefiles, but it's the first thing that comes to mind.

Did anybody validate those changes without using -j?

Michael