Re: errors in GDB reading symbols

On 06 Aug 2009, at 19:07, Tom Tromey wrote:

"Jonas" == Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe@elis.ugent.be> writes:

FWIW -- I try to review every patch that I think I have some chance of reviewing well. Unfortunately for you, your patches fall outside my zone of comfort.

I know the feeling (there's quite a few FPC issues lingering as well due to them falling outside the zone of comfort of the currently active developers).

All I can suggest is being more persistent and/or obnoxious in pinging :-).

Next week maybe, I don't have much time currently (paper deadline).

Is libgdb.a still used on other platforms? I won't push forward on
removing it if you still use it and you are reasonably active. While I
would prefer that you switch to MI, I can understand that this is
non-trivial.

It is definitely still very much used in the Dos/go32v2 and Win32 versino of the IDE. It is also used in our own builds of the Linux- version of the IDE, but less so in the versions packaged by distributions (mostly because of there being no separate working "libgdb.a" package).

Other than the implementation cost that you noted, the main opposition to using MI that I've heard are
a) as mentioned by Marco, it's probably impossible to use it on Dos (since there's no multitasking)
b) communication with gdb via MI is supposedly dreadfully slow on Windows (I don't have Windows, so I can't confirm or deny this)

Jonas