Re: Simics & reverse execution

Jakob Engblom wrote:
[...]
The problem is that different backends have different natural semantics here.

A simulator has a natural semantic of synchronous stop across all processors,
devices, and everything else going on.  A hardware across JTAG is far more
likely to stop just a few cores and keep the rest running.  Hardware with
recording: ????

That's why an abstract bookmark concept is so appealing: it can hide anything in
the backend, and let it worry about setting up times on multiple processors,
multiple machines, or hardware recorders.

Ok, yes, I see what you're getting at here: bookmarks might be more easily implemented in some targets than some global linear notion of time.

Again, you could go a lot further than I'm proposing right now.  But
that's not to say you need to for this stuff be useful.

Yes, for us, a 64-bit integer count of time would be quite useful as a general
tool.

Cool - so is the general agreement that a scalar notion of time is a useful thing to add, even if it's not supported in all reversible targets? (And bookmarks is an (at least) equally useful notion.)

Greg
--
Greg Law, Undo Software                       http://undo-software.com/