Re: xz for the new release tip

On 10/01/2009 08:38 AM, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
On Thu, 01 Oct 2009 08:27:12 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
it's the internal compression being used in rpm on
modern Linux distros (Fedora, openSUSE), etc.
I did not think about it to be so fresh,
Well, remember the deltarpm on powerpc issue and the "xz occasionly corrupts archives on certain files" issues Fedora's xz has (are?) suffered from. or will prove to be a yet another temporary anecdote in compression tools is
hard to tell - doubts are justified, IMHO.
`lzma' is decompressed by `xz' the same way `compress' is decompressed by
`gzip'. `lzma' was AFAIK already used as the internal format of SuSE rpm so
it already became a format requiring backward compatibility.
Hmm, from my perspective lzma is one of the "temporary anecdotes" in compression history, I am referring to ;)

I see the xz proposal did not find enough acceptance by GDB maintainers, OK, np.
That's a pity. xz compressed gdb-tarballs would have spared rtems.org a lot of diskspace and bandwidth ;)

Ralf