Re: A strange gcc behavior, and an argument against -Wno-unused

> From: Pedro Alves <pedro@codesourcery.com>
> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 19:50:26 +0100
> Cc: tromey@redhat.com,
>  dave.korn.cygwin@googlemail.com,
>  msnyder@vmware.com
>
> On Saturday 10 October 2009 19:39:24, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > Thanks, that's old enough to be useful for most, if not all, of those
> > who build GDB.
>
> To be clear, FRT:  I don't think it really matters which version
> a "positive" -W warning switch went in (-Wno-* switches matter,
> because otherwise we wouldn't be silencing a build breaking
> warning on older gcc's we may care about).  Even if a switch is
> found only on more recent gcc's, if it uncovers bugs, it's
> useful.  People using older gcc's just don't get the new
> warnings, as gdb's build system takes care of confirming the
> switch works at all before using it.

Understood.  However, I was thinking about exotic architectures that
don't get built by the global maintainers, and so it is important that
those builds actually have this switch on and working, rather than
silently turned off due to non-support.