Re: TRACE implementation

sumanth wrote:
Hi ,

I am talking about "gdb tracepoints" only. I am asking for "How can I implement them in GDB ?"

Great. Thanks for the clarification. Partial answer: you don't have to implement them in gdb. They're already implemented in gdb.

means, where I can start with. Heard something about remote stubs

Yes, that's correct. GDB already knows how to tell a stub to collect trace data. You need to implement a stub that understands the trace commands that gdb will send to it.

Michael , Can you be a bit more brief on "published API" which you mentioned in your last response.

Sure. First, if you haven't seen this already, you probably want to look at it: http://sourceware.org/gdb/talks/esc-west-1999 There is a white paper, a slide presentation, and other documents. It's all old, but not obsolete, since very little additional development has been done since then.

Second, the remote protocol messages that your stub will
need to implement are specified here:

http://sourceware.org/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdb_37.html#SEC683

I should let you know that some folks at Code Sourcery have
recently been doing some work with tracepoints.  If you were
interested in hiring someone to do the work for you on contract,
either I or one of the other maintainers could probably put you
in contact with someone privately.

Good luck,
Michael