Re: [RFC] syntax change for "record save"

Joel Brobecker wrote:
This proposal follows from Teawater's thread
"A question about gdb script", in which Teawater
wants to know how to use a gdb local variable
to append a sequence number to the file name
of a record log file.

This is not an objection, but I am really not fond of that extension. It feels ad hoc that the extension, if provided, should be evaluated as an integer. What if the user wanted a more general scheme? Or what if he wanted to the suffix to be in hex?

Replying here before starting a new thread...

Well, nobody asked for it to be more general.
Whereas, I think this is not the first time I have
heard a request for this sort of functionality.
Could be the last request was regarding the 'gcore'
command, or maybe something else (set logging file?).

Now I'll start a new thread. ;-)